The Brinovus Organ was purpose built by Brindley & Foster of Sheffield & London and installed as the church was being built in 1902. Originally a three-manual organ with 1876 pipes, it underwent major refurbishments in 1954 and 2009-10. In the recent refurbishment it was reduced to a two-manual with the replacement of a number of stops to ensure minimal loss of range and functionality.
The Church Choir has one of the most public roles of any organization in the Old Parish, meeting each Sunday morning to lead the singing of the congregation. The choir also meets as required to practice the hymns and other musical contributions to our services.
During the service the choir not only leads the congregation’s singing, it also sings an introit, the Kyrie before and the Gloria after the Bible readings and, on some Sundays, an offertory. On communion Sundays the choir contributes even more extensively to the congregational prayers. Within the Church of Scotland there are probably few congregations where the choir contributes so actively to the service as in the Old Parish.
Anyone who can sing is very welcome to join our choir – no audition is necessary!
If you are interested, please contact our organist, Gordon Callaghan using the contact form below.